This recipe comes from Angela's Oh She Glows website. It is a vegan casserole and looks amazing! I have tweaked the recipe with non-vegan ingredients on here. If you are interested in the exact recipe click here.
Naughty & Nice Vegan Enchilada CasseroleYield: One (2-quart) casserole
- 8-ounces dry pasta (3.5 cups dry noodles or half a 16-oz package)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 bell peppers (I used 1 red, 1 orange, and 1 yellow), chopped
- 1-3 tbsp taco seasoning mix *to taste
- 1 can black beans (or 2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- 1.5-2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/3-1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 20 tortilla chips (about 2 handfuls), crushed
- Avocado, salsa, sour cream, etc, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F . Add dry pasta to a pot of boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes. *Be careful not to overcook the pasta or it will get mushy in the casserole. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the chopped onion, jalapeno, and peppers in the olive oil over medium heat for about 7-8 mins.
3. Add the taco seasoning, drained and rinsed black beans, and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce. Stir well and cook for another 5 mins.
4. Stir in the cheese and chopped green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
5. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish. Scoop on the skillet mixture and spread out evenly. Spoon on the rest of the sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 mins at 350F until heated through. Sprinkle with crushed nacho chips, chopped avocado, salsa, and sour cream if desired just before serving.
I will be making this for dinner sometime this week. Please, join with me in trying this recipe.
*For those of you with smaller families, half the recipe if you don't do left-overs*