Friday, March 16, 2012

Crumble Chicken

I made some really good chicken for dinner tonight. I have been wanting to make chicken for a while now but not just a plain ole chicken breast. So I got creative and man did it pay off! I thought of making a breaded type chicken but needed it to be a bit healthier. So here is what happened.

Crumble Chicken (The name just popped in my head so I am sticking with it)
Chicken Tenders cooked *
Whole Wheat Ritz Crackers (1 sleeve)
Honey Mustard, or Honey Mustard Dressing

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put a piece of parchment on a baking pan. (This is more for easy clean up. If you don't have parchment it is ok.) Using a coating tray, or 2 dishes, place the Honey Mustard in one dish. Crumble the crackers as best you can. You can leave some bigger pieces but the finer the crumbs the better. Coat the chicken in honey mustard and then cover with crumbled crackers. place on the parchment. Do this with each piece individually. They should look similar to Chicken Strips.
Place the tray in the oven for 15 mins until the crackers are a bit darker and crisp. Serve warm with additional Honey Mustard if desired.

*You can use any type of chicken you like. I like the tenders because they are smaller but you can use chicken breast too. If you use whole breasts I would recommend tenderizing, pounding them out, before you bake them.
**You could also try using raw chicken and coating it to avoid the pre-cook phase. You would need to bake the chicken for 45 mins when cooking from a raw state. Do not use frozen chicken, it will turn out chewy.

I had this for dinner and it was great! I wanted to avoid bread crumbs and eggs/butter for a healthier version of breaded chicken. The Honey Mustard adds a nice flavor without any thing added. You could also use a BBQ sauce too. Basically whatever you would dip a chicken strip into you could use for coating. Yum, Yum, Yum. My kids loved it and my husband had seconds.

No comments: