Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Apple Cupcakes and Portabello Pizza

I am going to combine 2 "recipes" in this post because, well, they aren't what I would call a real recipe. However, they are so yummy that I have to post them.

First off is the Apple Cupcake. I found this idea on Oh She Glows website and have wanted to try it. I used 1 fresh apple, chocolate peanut butter, and granola. Core the apple, slice in half horizontally. Spread peanut butter on top and then dip in granola. Voila! Apple Cupcake, yummy, satisfying, and no where near the calories or fat of a real cupcake.

Second is Portabello Pizza. I got this idea from Pam's site. I was very hesitant to try this. I had a bad experience with portabello's a couple years ago and have not looked their way since. I hated mushrooms of any kind through my whole life until about 2 years ago. Not sure how I came to like them, but now I put them on everything! (Same story with Zucchini) I am so glad that I went ahead and tried this. I made them for my husband and I for lunch yesterday and am in love!

Portabello Pizza

Large Portabello top (as many as you need for servings)
Tomato Sauce
Cheese
Toppings *anything you like on your pizza

Pre-heat oven to 400 and spray a baking pan (or line with parchment). Gut portabello tops and rinse out, pat dry. Spread the tomato/pizza sauce into the middle well of the mushroom. Top with cheese and any toppings you like. (I used turkey sausage, green onions, zucchini, bacon..basically what was in my fridge)
Place pizza in the oven for 12-15 mins or until cheese is melted. For a nice texture turn your oven to broil and brown the cheese, watching so not to burn it.
Take out, let cool a bit and dig in! This was amazing and I love having a pizza option the does no have dough! You could do this without the cheese as well and do a straight veggie. However, in my house, pizza must have cheese on it.

Try both of these dishes, you will love them!

No comments: